1. IMPROVE YOUR CREDIT SCORE
A high credit score snags you the best deals. Below 660 or 680, you’re either going to have to pay sizable fees or a high down payment. 700-720 will get you a good deal and 750 and above will garner the best rates.
2. FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD
FHA loan – Your monthly payment can’t exceed 31% of your monthly income. Conventional home loan monthly payment should not exceed 28% of monthly income.
3. SAVE FOR DOWN PAYMENT, CLOSING COSTS
You’ll need to save between 3%-20% of the house price for a down payment.
4. BUILD A HEALTHY SAVINGS ACCOUNT
Your lender wants to know that you’re not living paycheck to paycheck.
5. GET PREAPPROVED FOR A MORTGAGE
This is the #1 thing you should have in order. How do you know what you can afford if you aren’t preapproved?
Article Source: bankrate.com